For Season 8 of the podcast, I’m focusing on one of my greatest passions: business!
I’ve had my own business since 2012 and entrepreneurship is a pursuit I devote a tonne of time, energy and focus to – whether it’s growing my own business, or mentoring others in theirs. In this season, I’ll be taking you behind the scenes in my business – as well as interviewing business owners I respect enormously.
In this episode, I share the first interview with leading entrepreneurs…
Nicole Eckels is an entrepreneurial veteran. She is the co-founder of the now household-name-brand Glasshouse Fragrances, which she started 15 years ago. She is also a firecracker of energy and I LOVED interviewing her. It became very clear to me while talking to her that Nicole has not even gotten started yet…
In our conversation, Nicole shares:
- How the brand came from geographical arbitrage
- Her experience of creating a category in Australia
- How she secured an investor for her start-up – and needed some creative forecasting to do so!
- How she undertook a full rebrand this year, and in doing so doubled the number of products in the range
- The business BHAG (Big Hairy Audacious Goal) she’s working towards
- Why she has deliberately contained the brand to Australia until now
- How she grew revenue 50% year on year for five years (seriously, wow)
- The difference between “bleeding edge” and “cutting edge” – and how you don’t want to be bleeding edge (like I was in my first business!)
- How the brand has managed to have such incredible longevity in what is now a saturated market
- Why she’ll seek out mentors for the rest of her life
- The scariest part of entrepreneurship for her
- How she navigated landing in Australia as a single mother and starting her business
- Her genius (and no BS!) tip to know who to hire next
- How the solution to problems is often to just “get in your helicopter”
- After 15 years of a successful business partnership, what her golden rule is for partners
I so hope you enjoy this conversation.
You can learn more about Glasshouse Fragrances, visit the website: www.glasshousefragrances.com.
You can find Nicole on Instagram at @nicoleeckels.
And if you’d like to explore mentoring with me, jump over here: lorrainemurphy.com.au/work-with-me/mentoring.