For Season 8 of the podcast, I’m focusing on one of my greatest passions: business!
I’ve had my own business since 2012 and entrepreneurship is a pursuit I devote a tonne of time, energy and focus to – whether it’s growing my own business, or mentoring others in theirs. In this season, I’ll be taking you behind the scenes in my business – as well as interviewing business owners I respect enormously.
This week, I’m diving into a question I get asked a LOT: how I have built and run a remote support team. In my first business, I built a “traditional” team of full-time employees who attended the office with me every day. However we also had support from an overseas VA from 2013, and I hired remote PAs as well.
In my current business, my team is fully remote. I’ve learned a huge amount about the dos (and don’ts) of building a team like this and have also supported dozens of mentees to build theirs too.
In this episode I share:
- The five golden rules of building a support team
- Why hiring for the person you need right now is not a good idea
- The most common mistakes I see business owners making with remote team members
- The communication structure myself and my team work to
- The mindset block you need to get over to have a truly effective remote team
- The four different levels of remote support that you can have in your business – and what each level should deliver to you
- What hourly rate you can expect to pay at each of these four levels
- My top tips on finding a great support person
- Why my goal in my business is to simply “be Lorraine” as much as possible!
I also do a call-out this week for interest in a business accelerator I’m exploring. Hit this link to be on the list to hear about it: https://lorrainemurphy.com.au/business-accelerators-roi/