For Season 8 of the podcast, I’m focusing on one of my greatest passions: business!
I’ve had my own business since 2012 and entrepreneurship is a pursuit I devote a tonne of time, energy and focus to – whether it’s growing my own business, or mentoring others in theirs. In this season, I’m taking you behind the scenes in my business – as well as interviewing business owners I respect enormously.
Effective business planning is one of the earliest lessons I had when I started my first business eight years ago, and making the time to create a solid annual plan, and devoting time each quarter to designing my quarterly plan, has been something I’ve been religious about over those years.
After a LOT of “yes pleases” on my Instagram this week, I recorded this episode: a step-by-step guide to how I do my own business planning. It was a super fun one to do as I recorded it in my hotel room while still in the zone of my own planning getaway in Bondi!
- Why business planning is so important, and the pitfalls it keeps me out of
- How to set the scene for a kickass planning session
- Why I believe we need both a “feminine” and “masculine” approach to planning
- The realisation I had at the beach in Bondi that became the launch pad (and blueprint) for my entire planning day
- Why – and how! – our businesses should serve our overall lives… and not the other way around
- The four horizons of planning and how they layer onto each other
- What to do when you don’t know where to start with setting financial targets
- The trick my kinesiologist Jacqui taught me to always stay open to more financial abundance
- My Business Pyramid model, and why I believe every business needs one
- A sneak peek at my own Business Pyramid
- How to translate our grand plans into daily actions
- The hack I use to kickstart my planning, and how I’m putting it into action this week
The resources I mention in this episode:
- You can access the Five Year Vision and Quarterly Plan templates on the Resources page of my website: https://lorrainemurphy.com.au/resources
- My kinesiologist is Jacqui Prydie: https://jacquiprydie.com/
- The sprays I mention are from Resonate Essences: resonateessences.com
- The two Verne Harnish books I mention are Mastering The Rockefeller Habits and Scaling Up
And finally, if you’d like to explore diving deeper into business mentoring with me: